Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bloom

A few weeks ago I received a email invite to Bloom, also knows as the BC spring release wine tasting! I was sooooo excited for this event, I love BC wine and already knew of a few new ones that I was looking forward to trying along with some old favorites.

I also got to bring 2 guests, the man was my first choice but he had to work. So I brought my 2 friends Wilder and Dustin who both knew next to nothing about wine. Which in the long run turned out to be a good thing because it gave me the chance to refresh my BC wine memory.


As one would expect I had a awesome time! I had a mental list of all the new wines I wanted to try first which was good because the place filled up pretty quickly. 

But instead of blabbering on and on about ALL the wines that were there, I'm just gunna highlight a few that I particularly enjoyed. I also have to apologize for the lack of reds, I tried to stick mostly to whites and rose's as to not annihilate my pallet. I got a few reds in at the end but I'll have to admit I was a wee bit tipsy by then and it was hard to remember even after looking through my blurry pictures

Therapy 2011 Sauvignon Blanc - These guys never disappoint me. Strong aromas of lemon and grapefruit rind. Matching the nose I could taste grapefruit, along with some grassy notes, finishing with nice tart green apple flavours.


Perseus 2010 Sauvignon Blanc - Kinda opposite of the previous Sauv. This one had more green apple on the nose and loads of citrus and grapefruit on the pallet, just all round lip-smackingly good!


Dirty Laundry 2011 Woo Woo Gewürztraminer - For some reason I always forget about this wine and only remember it when I'm removing the tag because we've sold out. Lemme start by saying this wine was Deeeeelish with a capital D. A bouquet of roses and lychee fruit filled my nose, while peach, apple and honeysuckle flavours coated my mouth. Not too dry and not too sweet, with a nice lingering luscious finish.


Cedar Creek Ehrenfelser 2011 - Remember when I wrote about Summerhills Ehrenfelser and how awesome it was, well make way cause Cedar Creek is coming to town. I enjoyed this one a lot more mostly because I got way more fruit on the pallet and it didn't taste at all carbonated (not that Summerhill's is, it just kinda tastes like it is). It both tasted and smelled like the most delicious fruit salad ever! Loads of peaches, nectarines, and pears. I totally went back for a second taste before leaving and I'm sure I'll defiantly be going through many bottles this summer.


Hillside Rose 2011 - A blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Gamay and Pinot Noir. I was excited to try this because of my love for there Muscat. Aromas of wild flowers and red berries, the taste was very, very light but I managed to get some raspberry and cherries. Had a juicy long finish, and easily pushed it's way into one of my top 5 Rose's.


Quails Gate Reserve Pinot Noir 2008 - I love a good Pinot and this one was no disappointment. Cherries plum and vanilla, well balanced. I got a little something something in the middle - bit of a earthy taste, a little chewy. Super nice and smooth, only drawback is it's $45 a bottle, which to be honest is pretty decent considering how much I enjoyed it, I'm just a cheap ass. Maybe I'll splurge for my birthday.


Vista D'oro Fortified Walnut Wine 2007 - I never thought in a million years that I would ever be drinking Port/Fortified wine and liking it, but my experiences have been good. And this lovely little guy is made with green walnuts that have been soaked in Brandy! There's also some Foch, Merlot, Cab Franc in their. The taste is a mix of sweet raisins and earthy walnuts. Smooth and rich with a nice long lingering finish that leaves your mouth salivating for more!


And that's all for now folks. Go out and get yourself a bottle of BC's best. Thanks again Wilder and Dustin for accompanying me. I also forgot to mention how fantastic the food was -crab cakes, chicken skewers with satay sauce, salmon, and cheese galore! Yum Yum! Dusting was ALL about the goat cheese :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment