Saturday, October 13, 2012

Back from the dead...

Yes it's true, I'm still alive! It's been almost 3 months since my last post, I hang my head in shame.
But instead of giving you a list of reasons and excuses I'm just gunna say sorry and hope you'll forgive me... especially after I give you a wine review AND show you what I've crochet'd as of lately

Let's talk about Rosé (aka Blush wine). First, there are 3 different ways to make a Rosé

  • Skin Contact - When the grapes are crushed, the skin is left in contact with the juice for a short amount of time. Then after about 1-3 days the must is pressed and the skins are discarded.
  • Saignée - When a winemaker wants more tannin and colour in a red wine, some of the pink juice from the must can be removed and fermented separately to produce Rosé.
  • Blending - Some parts of the world will mix red and white wine together to get the Rosé colour. For the most part it's kind of frowned upon, so much so that it's against the law in France.

They can be made from any type of red grape, the more popular being Garnache, Pinot Noir, Gamay and Cabernet Franc. They can range anywhere from super sweet to bone dry, and be made still, semi-sparkling or sparkling. A lot of the flavours depend on the varietal being used but tend to be more subtle than their red wine counterparts. Usually fresh and fruity, the ideal summer drink.


2011 Vina Chocalan Syrah Petit Verdot Rosé from Chile, selling for about $15 a bottle. It had a real nice vibrant pink colour. I could smell candied strawberries, cherries and raspberries. The taste was dry but with a lot of fresh sweet berries. It had a long finish and a hint of spice near the end. All round pretty tasty, the only negative thing I have to say really is change the label. Call me immature but it looks like a cave mans early drawings of a boob. I understand they were going for some super simplistic sleek design, I see a boob.

A lot of people are confused when trying to pair food with a Rosé. Depending on the varietal and style a light sweet Rosé goes good with sheeps milk or blended-milk cheese. Brighter, drier Rosé's can be paired with bruschetta or any Mediterranean appies. Light and fruity goes well with poultry, similar to white wine (think lemon chicken or a lightly seasoned turkey). Dark and dry Rosé's go great with a spicy curry or Thai.

When trying to pair any wine with food, you wanna try and match the weight and body of the wine, with the weight and body of the food. You probably wouldn't want a big, chewy Cabernet Franc with some nice light white fish. The Cab would annihilate your palate and totally dominate the taste of the fish.

As for Crocheting, I always feel like I get into a summer lull and can never get inspired to crochet when it's so nice out. I just can't justify sitting inside working away when the sun's shining. I spent the majority of my summer at various parks, beaches and playing in the woods with my son.
But now that the sun has disappeared for the next 7 months I knew it was time to dust off the ol' hook and whip up something fall/winterish


Ta-Dah! I'm so happy with how it turned out! I wish I could take credit for the awesome pattern but it was just one I found on Ravelry - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elise-shawl
It took maybe 2 1/2 balls of yarn and only a few hours to finish and I'm totally in love.

Speaking of totally in love, I also made this cute little heart when Fox was napping one day. I tried a bunch of different variations and this was the one I like the best


0 comments:

Post a Comment